Monday, August 3, 2009

Banana Bread!

First off let me just say I am so new to baking it's not even funny. I first failed then successfully baked a batch of brownies last week. Enough motivation for me to keep baking so I moved on to something just as safe like banana bread.

Again it was a failed then successful attempt. I switched recipes because my sis advised me that it could have been the recipe. So am gonna share the successful recipe which I got from a very very very good recipe book called Flavours of Malaysia. From what I've heard, the book is no longer in publication:( But I managed to give some away mostly to my cousins and they have all said that the recipes in there are da bomb!

Back to the Banana Bread! (makes 1 large loaf)

What you need:

330g plain flour
10g baking powder
330g ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
330g castor sugar
1 lemon grated for zest
1 tsp vanilla essence
170g butter, softened
4 eggs

What to do:

1) Sieve the flour together with the baking powder.

2) Mash the bananas roughly with a fork
~best to buy ripe ripe / overripe ones - where the skin is black~

3) Place the mashed bananas in a mixing bowl together with sugar and lemon zest. Mix on speed 1 with the flat beater for a few seconds before adding the vanilla and butter. Mix on speed 2 for 1 minute.
~I used my new hand electric mixer which I redeemed from Bonuslink but who cares~

4) Add the eggs on by one, mixing well after each addition. Add the flour in 2 batches, mixing well after each addition.

5) Pour into paper-lined and greased loaf pan
~line with baking paper found in section of supermarket where they sell aluminium foil etc.~

6) Bake in preheated oven at 180 degree Celcius for 45 -60 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
~I baked mine for 60 minutes. Must check before taking out of oven otherwise u will learn the hard way that your cake is undercooked!~



Remove from oven, allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before allowing it to cool completely.
~Don't get too excited and attempt to slice it now. LET IT COOL!!!!Like I left mine out and went for dinner and came back and it was nice and cool and it sliced very well~



What I've learned:
~I would have liked it a bit more moist so next time will shorten baking time by couple of mins
~Banana bread gives out a wonderful aroma when baking
~Setting the right temperature for your kind of oven is something that takes practice

Oh! And my husband and I have officially had enough banana bread for the year!

2 comments:

Vivien Macdonald said...

Hema, can you buy sour cream over there? That's another secret ingredient that I've learned over time to add to certain baking goods including banana bread (about a half cup) - and it keeps it VERY moist for a long time, along with wrapping it with saran wrap.

The Sudden Cook said...

Ooooooh great tip! Yes can get here...thanks Viv!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails