Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fried Spinach (Bayam)

I realised quickly after I got married that I could not identify my greens. I had the most embarassing experience of asking a complete stranger next to me at a hypermarket 'Uh...excuse me is this sawi?'

Needless to say she looked at me with this 'I-Feel-Sorry-For-Your-Husband-His Wife-Is-Such-A-Loser' look. Anyhow she shrugged and I left wishing they labelled the damn veggies. Slowly I learnt...sigh...I will never forget that aunty's look....


What you need:
One bunch of bayam - rinsed, washed and drained
Dried chillies (soaked in warm water for a few mins and cut in half)
Chopped garlic - 3 cloves
Pinch of salt
Oil

What to do:
Heat little bit of oil in the wok until hot.
Toss in the garlic and dried chillies and fry
Toss in the bayam and stir fry quickly - there will be a sizzling noise at this point as the veggies clash with the hot work - don't panic
Add some salt
Quickly stir again. Take off heat.
Tip: Give your arms a good workout by stir-frying fast. You don't want over-fried greens.
Goes well with some rice, some curry and freshly fried tenggiri.

3 comments:

wanda said...

Take it easy girl. As long as you can cook it, you're already one up from just eating it. Cheers.

Vivien Macdonald said...

You're not the only one who is clueless about the greens. I'm always asking the lady at the asian stores here, what is what. And then again, I wish they would label these veggies in Malay so I'm more familiar with it lah.

The Sudden Cook said...

Exactly! I had to google to see what was 'bayam' in English!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails