Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lamb Keema Curry

This is a mild dry curry which goes GREAT as a sandwich filling or as an accompaniment to chapatti. I got this recipe from the Flavours of Malaysia recipe book mentioned here. Over time I have improvised this recipe to suit our taste buds. But you can of course stick to the original recipe.

Serves 2 (Original Recipe)
What you need:
2 Tbsp ghee, butter or oil
2 medium-sized onions, quatered and thinly sliced
20g ginger, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 piece cinnamon stick
3 cardamons
300g lamb, minced or cubed
2 Tbsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp chilli powder
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/2 cup coriander leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped

What to do:
1) In a pan, heat the ghee, butter or oil and fry the onions till they brown.



2) Add ginger, garlic, green chilli, cinnamon stick and cardamoms. Cook 2-3 mins.
3) Add the lamb, stirring until meat browns.
4) Add ground coriander and chilli powder and cook for 2 mins. Add tomatoes.

5) Cook on medium heat till the tomatoes break down and add a cup of water (from my experience add less than a cup maybe half).

6) Lower heat, stir in salt and simmer, partially covered for 20 mins till lamb is tender.
7) Add peas and cook for few mins and stir in coriander and mint leaves.
8) Serve hot with chapattis. Yum!

My version:
First off I use minced beef instead of lamb and it taste great
I use butter instead of ghee or oil.
I omit the green chilli.
I omit the peas plus the coriander and mint leaves.
This is what works for me and my husband. We love it. Cooking is bout improvising. Give it a go.

3 comments:

nickster said...

wat a large bottle of garam!!

The Sudden Cook said...

Haha ... yeah.... I never run dry of garam!

SHD said...

Made this for dinner tonight and served with prathas and French beans.Yum!! Thank you TSC.

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails