Friday, October 23, 2009

Fish Beehoon Soup

bowl of delish fish beehoon soupSo the story goes like this. I don't mind fish. Not terribly in love with it, know it's suppose to be good for us blah blah blah but not really digging it at the same time. However like it once in a while when not doing something better like eating meat. End of story. UNLESS, it's nicely marinated and freshly fried with chilli powder like these awesome fried tenggiri slices.

Ok - new story. So tried this recipe and my husband and I thought - wow! Great for a non-greasy, healthy, feel-good-about yourself meal. Yummylicious soup flavoured with chicken stock cubes, with chucks of fish fillet and strips of mustard leaves garnished with chopped spring onions and fried shallots. Lovely.
Serves: 2 people
What you need:
150g snapper fillet, sliced ( I used dory fish fillet the frozen type you can get from Cold Storage)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 litre of water (I used slightly more than this)
2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
125g beehoon, softened in hot water (make sure the portion is just right for two)
75g mustard leaves, cut into 3cm lengths
Salt and pepper to taste
Fried shallots and chopped spring onions to garnish
Sliced red chillies and soy sauce to serve
What to do in 4 easy steps:
1) Season fish slices with salt and sesame oil. Set aside.
2) Heat oil in a pot, stir-fry garlic for 30 seconds. Add water and crumbled stock cubes and cover pot to bring to a boil then turn fire to low and simmer for 3 mins.

Knorr chicken stock cubes are the ones I use3) Add softened beehoon and cook for 2 mins. Add mustard leaves, marinated fish and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil then turn off fire.
4) Ladle into bowls. Serve garnished with shallots and spring onions with cut chillies and soy sauce on the side.
fried shallots are a must for garnishing
Tip#1: I add a few drops of soy sauce into the bowl itself. Gives it an extra taste.
Tip#2: Be liberal with the pepper as that adds alot of flavour to the soup!

truly a wonderful soupy meal

4 comments:

noobcook said...

I love simple and delicious one dish noodles like this. So comforting! :)

The Sudden Cook said...

Yes. So non-greasy unlike most meals. That's what I like!

Tataya Kudo said...

Hi!
I love beehoon. :-)This looks so delicious and seems "possible" for me to make. My husband and I used to stay in KL for 2 years and I would say KL is all about eating.

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by...yes KL or Msia I would say is truly about eating. Just made this last night...really love it.

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails