Monday, November 30, 2009

Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pie

This recipe takes a bit of time to make. Considering it was a weekend and it had been a while since I've tried this creamy chicken mushroom pie I thought why not.

Serves: 2

What you need:
200g chicken fillet, cubed
100g button mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, finely chopped
200ml whipping cream (at room temp)
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon oil
Small cube of butter

I sheet frozen puff pastry
I egg beaten (for egg wash)

Seasoning:
Salt & Black Pepper

What to do:
1) Prepare filling
Heat oil and sear the chicken over high heat until browned. The chicken should not be fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.

In the same pan, add the butter and cook mushrooms over high heat until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside with chicken.

Also in the same pan, fry the shallots over low heat. Add cream and bring to a boil. Add mustard, chicken and mushrooms and season to taste. Dish into pie dish.

2) Assemble and Bake
Place ramekin upside down on puff pastry and using a sharp knife cut out a circle to use as the lid. The circle you cut should be slightly larger than the rim so that it's easier to place over the topof ramekin. Tip: Brush rim of ramkeins with egg wash (or water) before placing the puff pastry on top.

Brush with egg wash. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 15 min. Eat while pastry is crisp and golden.

Tips:
Before popping pies in the oven, using a fork press down on edges of puff pastry to seal the lid plus make 2 slits on top of pastry.
Got my 2 white ramekins from Ikea!
This recipe was another great find from http://www.kuali.com/ - I did however tweak it to make up to two servings.

Bits of pastry smothered in a creamy yellowish sauce filled with chunks of chicken and mushroom with a hint of tangy mustard.... Creamy chicken mushroom pie anyone?

6 comments:

noobcook said...

yums! This is one of my fave dish ... going to make it one day with cream of chicken. Yours look really really good :)

The Sudden Cook said...

Hey! Thanks alot. It's a great meal to eat in front of the tv...easy to manage:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, im staying in KL, where can i buy puff pastry? Ive tried jusco.. they dont have any...
I love pastry!!

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi there Anonymous! Thanks for stopping by...I get them from any Cold Storage outlets here - even though I've tried a few brands - I find 'Pampas' the absolute best!!

bloomingwives - KG said...

Hey ! I've got addicted to Pampas since i follow your blog! *grrr!* haha.

Used it for one of the recipe ive recently posted. Thanks so much for recommending. I love PAMPAS puff pastry tooo! got my friends addicted too as they started asking me where to get it. haha

thanks so much and keep blogging!
hugs

The Sudden Cook said...

Hey there! Glad to hear about your recent 'addiction'...haha. It's truly the best:)

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails