Friday, January 8, 2010

Spicy Sardine Puffs








I said it before and I'll say it again - love love love puff pastry. This time I decided to cook a simple filling with sardines using this recipe:

What you need:
1 can 230g sardines (I use Ayam Brand) - drain the sauce, pick out the bones from the sardines and flake them (keep some chucks in there)
1 medium sized onion, sliced finely
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons chilli paste (add chilli powder with some water to form a paste)
1 tablespoon oil
Seasoning: Salt, sugar & pepper

What to do:
1) Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onions and cook until soft.
2) Add in chilli paste and curry powder. Fry quickly and add sardines. Turn down heat if needed.
3) Add about 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce drained from sardines earlier
4) Add a pinch of salt, sugar and pepper. Allow to cool.
5) Prepare triangle puffs (see above) & bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C for 15 mins.

Tip#1: Sardine filling should be thick and not runny
Tip#2: Must cool completely before starting to make puffs.

Since I'd done two recipes using chicken as the filling, Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pie and the second one the Chicken, Ham & Mushrooms Squares, I decided on a savoury filling this time.


Puffing good stuff.

6 comments:

shamin said...

so going to try the sardines puff...i was craving curry puff yesterday...think might be the closest alternative !!!
the only problem is that my darling daughter has pressed all the buttons on the oven thinking its her toy and now my oven is kaput..must repair first !!

noobcook said...

I love sardines, your sardine puff looks really professional! :D

J.J.S. said...

Looks yummy !

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks guys!
Shamin: Sahara just like the mother must rosak everything in the house!
Noobcook:If you like sardines, u will love these!
Jo: Your brother ate it on a Monday, and then on Thursday, 3 days later he told me he was still thinking of the puffs!

traveleo said...

Nice one! I'm a big fan of puff pastry myself, used to make them at home but too lazy now - buying frozen ones don't taste the same.

You might want to check out my pasta (http://traveleo.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/linguine-with-japanese-king-crabs-linguine-to-taraba-kani/) if you're a fan of seafood :)

Cheers!

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks Leo...I did check out the post - the pictures are great. Well done!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails