Monday, February 1, 2010

Butter Orange Cake Recipe


Note: Temperature settings differ for every oven. For mine for example, a temp of 160C is best for this cake as my oven gets hot fast. Tweak the temperature according to your oven for best results:)

If you've never baked before and are looking for a simple enough recipe to try and not screw up...consider this recipe. It only calls for six ingredients, a mixing bowl, a mixer (hand-held or whatever) and a trip to the grocery store.

What you need:
250g (1 block) butter (taken out from fridge at least 30mins prior)
330g caster sugar
4 eggs (remove from fridge earlier)
2 tablespoon grated orange rind
225g self-raising flour
180ml orange juice

Before Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 160C. Grease the bottom and sides and line the bottom of a square cake tin with baking paper. (My square cake tin was about 24cm just FYI)

Step 1: Grate orange rind.  Then slice the oranges in half and squeeze the juice out of them.


Step 2: Get out your mixing bowl and mixer. Put the butter, sugar and orange rind in the bowl and beat until light and fluffy.


Step 3: Be sure the eggs are at room temp. Add in one by one and mix well. 



Step 4: Sift the flour. Then add flour in two batches (otherwise too much flour in mixing bowl at one go - not good - white flour all over). Add the orange juice in too.


Step 5: Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in oven for 1 hour.


Let cake stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning unto a rack.


Random Tip:
~When mixing, scrap down the batter from time to time from the sides of the bowl, using a spatula and continue mixing.
This cake is lovely when it's warm. So if you've refrigerated any slices, zap it for 20 seconds in the microwave and it'll be nice and soft. Aroma-wise...OMG.

30 comments:

noobcook said...

I've never baked a cake before even though I bought a cake pan for ages :p Your cake looks really fluffy and yummy!

Pete said...

Nice work! I love all types of buttery cakes! LOL!

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks guys!

noobcook: You've never baked before? Gosh must try! Bet you'll be great at it.

Pete: Yes very buttery and as a bonus very orangy as well!

frockandfork said...

I love the sound of you cake :) A perfect match for an afternoon tea :)

frockandfork said...

I love the sound of you cake :) A perfect match for an afternoon tea :)

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks! That's exactly what we did - had them for tea!

Pierre said...

i love this cake and the flavour of orange I love it !!
I am pierre a french foodie based in France if you like french creative cuisine come and see me you are welcome!! cheers from Paris Pierre

The Sudden Cook said...

Hey Pierre! Thanks for stopping by - the food on your blog looks exremely interesting! Hope to make it to France on fine day:)

sunitha said...

this is cool am going to try it soon!

The Sudden Cook said...

Great! Do let me know how it works out Sunitha.

Simonne said...

Orange butter cake wow... sound simple leh ..hehe...
Thanks for sharing!

The Sudden Cook said...

Simonne: Yes simple la. Serious!

Simonne said...

This is the best orange butter cake, i just baked it but but.. i forgot to line my baking (base) oh the cake stuck at the bottom....
It taste "melt in your mouth" in fact i think i think is too soft! hahaha..
I will bake again for sure!

Simonne said...

OMG i think my eyes went blind.. i bake this again (in the oven now) and twice i uses 'egg seperated' method
I was about to ask you why my batter is not like yours (thick batter).. haiz... now i know why..
My mind must be in somewhere other recipe calling me

charlie fa said...

i made this recipe just now!but my batter was very watery.i dont know what happened.

and i never get to see the final product because selayang went blackout while my cake was in the oven. ;__;

Anonymous said...

I just got all my ingredients and gonna bake them soon for my 2 little babies.wish me luck.ganga

Anonymous said...

And it did turn out well with a cup of Sri lankan chai

The Sudden Cook said...

Glad to hear it!

Anonymous said...

hi i made this the other day and find that it's toooo sweet. i just wanna double confirm is it the recipe printed wrongly?? cos 330g caster sugar is too much. thanks.

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi Anonymous
The recipe is correct.
But if you do find it too sweet - you can reduce the sugar to maybe 280g or 260g depending on the sweetness of the orange juice as well.

sRin+hi@ said...

My husband just bought me an oven today for valentine and I'm going to bake this cake. Hope it turn out well.

The Sudden Cook said...

Great! Hope it turns out well too.

Uniqu3ly Min3 said...

i tried your recipe but the cake seems to be wrinkling and pulling inwards.. i do not know what is wrong with the process.

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi there
It must be the baking 'process'. If the cake sank, it could be under baked or the oven temp was too low. If you wish to try again, set a slightly higher oven temp and bake for longer. Before removing cake from oven, use a sharp thin knife to check if it is cooked.

Tan Kuan Yoon said...

Hi!
Tried d recipe yesterday. It's my first time baking butter cake. It turned out to be generally okay. The taste was good but still a lil sweet (although i've reduced d sugar to 280g). Yes, the aroma was indeed 'OMG'. However, i wonder why is d bottom half of my cake too moist n compact n not fluffy (sorry if i've used d wrong term)? Fyi, i baked at 160°c for 1 hr 10mins.

Joyce said...

I just baked it.. So soft n fluffy.. Delicious ! Thanks for d recipe

Joyce said...

I find it a lil sweet but my boys loved it:)

Jenn said...

Jz tried this recipe jz now.. Any idea y the sides n bottom were burnt but on the inside the cake wasn't cooked?

Angelljoe said...

Jenn I think you should get your oven thermostat checked - the oven temperature was too hot. This is what happened to my cake. My oven thermostat was not working. I fixed a new one and now I always place an oven thermometer whenever I bake my cakes. Happy Baking!!!

Mrs. Vanee Kumar said...

looks cool!! im going to try this today! Thanks for sharing

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails