Before you read on, I must humbly warn my readers, that this post is essentially about 'cheating'. Rest assured, it's good 'cheating' though. It's the kind of 'cheating' which entails not making the sauce from scratch but using the pre-made type which comes in a bottle. I can feel some of you shaking your heads in disbelief, but yes this is the way I make bolognese....the 'cheating' way. So for all you cheaters reading this, this is how I do it.
What you need:
1 bottle Prego's Fresh Mushroom flavoured pasta sauce
1 medium sized onion sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic sliced thinly
250g minced beef
250g vermicelli* (pasta of choice)
1 tbsp olive oil
Seasoning the beef:
Season the uncooked beef in some black pepper and set aside.
Making the sauce:
1) Heat olive oil in a saucepan and saute onions and garlic till fragrant.
2) Add minced beef and fry evenly till meat is cooked and no longer pink.
3) Empty the Prego's Fresh Mushroom flavoured sauce contents into the saucepan and stir. Add some water into the empty bottle (about a quarter of the bottle) give it a swirl and add into saucepan.
4) Put the lid on, and allow to simmer for 15 mins.
5) Just before turning off heat, add a pinch of sugar and stir.
6) Serve the cooked vermicelli on a plate and add meat sauce over.
Yummy and super simple the cheating way.