Monday, March 15, 2010

Fried Mamak Mee


*Mamak is a colloquial reference to the Indian - Muslim community in Malaysia.Sitting at a mamak stall with your friends while ordering and re-ordering your favourite drink is a norm here in Malaysia. It's where the youth and young adults go to enjoy cheap fare and more importantly yak about their country.

I got this recipe from my most beloved Flavours of Malaysia recipe book from which I have also shared  this yummy recipe and  this semi yummy recipe.

Fried Mamak Mee or Mamak Mee Goreng
Serves: 2 -3 persons

3 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp Cili Boh (or chilli paste) (Add an additional teaspoon if you like it xtra spicy)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pounded

Combine the following in a bowl:
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 Tbsp bottled chilli sauce
3 Tbsp bottled tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
Dash of white pepper
3-4 Tbsp water

500g fresh yellow noodles, rinsed
2 peices firm beancurd, fried until golden brown and sliced thickly
1 medium potato, boiled, peeled and sliced
1 tomate, cut into wedges
1 cup beansprouts

What to do:

1) Heat the oil in a wok and fry the garlic and chilli boh until fragrant.
2) Add the seasoning sauce combined and fry for a few seconds before adding the noodles and beancurd.
3) Fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring to prevent noodles from sticking to the wok. Add some water if this happens.
4) Add the potato and tomato. Fry for a minute before adding the beansprouts. Fry for a few more seconds till dishing out.

Garnish with fried shallot crisps, sliced spring onions and sliced red chilli. Add a lime wedge to go with the dish.

My Version:

Instead of frying the bean curd and yada yada, I just bought tofu puffs from my Pasar Segar (Fresh Market) and sliced in half.


Instead of potato, I used sliced fish cake.


I garnished with fried shallots, spring onions and lime.


Tip:
Loosen the noodles when you're rinsing them before throwing into wok.
Check out the free trip to Phuket!

8 comments:

RedRubyonFire said...

Wait a minute! SMOOTH PEANUT BUTTER? I've read Mamak mee goreng recipes with dried shrimp + belacan paste before, but not with peanut butter!

The Sudden Cook said...

Trust me - it taste exactly like from the mamak shops.

My Little Space said...

Another favourite of mine! This is just so addictive. I try not to take this during the night when visiting mamak store. haha...

noobcook said...

love mee goreng. the tofu puffs are a great idea!

The Sudden Cook said...

My Little Space: Ironically I seldom order it when I go to mamak stalls - my usual fav is maggi goreng!
Noobcook: Super cheat way - tofu puffs!

RedRubyonFire said...

I choose you to receive the Sunshine Award! Congratulations!

Go to my post for more details!
http://redrubyonfire.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunshine-award.html

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks RROF!

Anonymous said...

I read about it some days ago in another blog and the main things that you mention here are very similar

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails