Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Egg and Bacon Puffs



I've been meaning to try this recipe for some time now. Got the recipe from the back of the Borg's brand (they did not have my favourite 'Pampas' that day) Frozen Puff Pastry packaging. I just love it when I get (good) recipes on packaging. This one sure is a keeper.

What's there not to love? I mean puff pastry...enough said. The filling is made up of mashed hard-boiled eggs and pre-fried bacon bits combined with some mayonnaise and pepper. Loved it!

Makes: 8

What you need:
3 large eggs, hard-boiled
4 slices of bacon, chopped
1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
Black Pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley (optional)
Sesame seeds (optional)

What to do:
Filling:
Fry bacon until cooked. Mash hard-boiled eggs and add bacon, mayonnaise and pepper. I personally don't like to add too much mayonnaise. So I kept it to about 1 tablespoon.  You can even throw in the 1 tablespoon chopped parsley if using.

Note: If you have leftover filling, use it to make a sandwich or a salad - just add some chopped lettuce leaves!


Pastry:
I recently purchased a pastry cutter from one of the baking shops nearby. Saw some chef using it on some programme on the AFC channel and decided I would like to try one out.


It made beautiful rings which I was able to fill up with the egg and bacon mix.


Fold pastry over to enclose and press the edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg wash. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds if you wish...I didn't.


Bake in pre-heated oven at 200C for 15 minutes until golden.

I heart Egg and Bacon Puffs.

10 comments:

noobcook said...

I'm hooked on puff pastry recently. I love the fillings you had, and I have to get my hands on the lovely pastry cutter you shown hehe

The Sudden Cook said...

Hey there!! I am a great advocate of puff pastry ( u can tell from my blog!) so glad you're 'hooked' on it. The pastry cutter was an xperiment - I loved the pretty circles - it was worth buying!

tigerfish said...

Great combination of eggs and bacon as the fillings :)

frockandfork said...

What a reat snack for a party or picnic :) I will be baking some seeds and cheese puf pastry sticks soon :) re the packaging recipes - I love them too :) sometimes they are surprisingly good:)

The Sudden Cook said...

tigerfish: Indeed a great combo - had some filling as a salad the next day:)

frockandfork: mmmm...cheese puff pastry sticks sound gooooood:)

RedRubyonFire said...

Funny... we have egg and bacon rolls here, it is really good with sauteed onions!
Frozen pastry is super useful, try filling up your puff pastry with left over curry chicken or lamb (no bones la) or potatoes, become curry puffs! LOL

Vivien Macdonald said...

You are making me all too hungry girl! Great food ideas. Keep it coming! Also,.. I like the new spiffy header-image on your blog. Miss ya!

The Sudden Cook said...

RROF: Yes I actually have tried the spicy chicken filling - they are superb! Just like the random makcik's curry puffs!
Vivien: Miss you load too! Thanks the spiffy new banner is courtesy of my blogger friend - the very creative Red Ruby on Fire.

Pam said...

Love this! What a great way to enjoy bacon and eggs!

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks Pam!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails