Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chilled Pineapple Cheesecake



Just like how I learnt how to bake a Chocolate Cake last year, I wanted to learn how to make a non-baked cheesecake this year. My decision was inspired by my mother-in-law's ultra yummy chilled peach cheesecake which my husband and I totally enjoy. 

A non-baked cheesecake also sounded less intimidating than a baked cheesecake recipe. Somehow I felt like I was less likely to screw up if it was non-baked. I mean how hard would it be to make the crust, make the filling, put it all together and chill right.

The recipe I used is from my aunt. Growing up, we simply adored her cheesecake. My cousins and I enjoyed this cheesecake to the hilt. Now that I've tried it and found it simply as divine, I urge you to give it a try. I totally endorse this recipe cause it is easy and non-complicated. Two vital things I look out for!

3 simple things: CRUST, FILL and CHILL

How to make Chilled Pineapple Cheesecake

Grease a 20cm round loose bottom cake tin with butter.
CRUST
200g plain Marie biscuits 
160g butter melted

1) Crush biscuits till fine. Empty into a bowl. Add in melted butter and mix.

Crush Biscuits
I used a mortar and pestle to crush the biscuits. I pounded them till fine. You can google other ways to crush the biscuits till fine including putting them in a clear bag and pounding with a rolling pin. Also make sure the biscuits are plain and not chocolate flavoured.












Melt Butter
I made sure the butter was at room temp (removed from fridge about 20 mins earlier), cut them in small cubes and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Once out, I gave it a mix to ensure all butter was melted.

2) After mixing biscuit crumbs and butter, press mixture into base of prepared tin.

Note:
I used a springform tin like below. I only lined the base with the crust. It's up to you if you want to do the sides. My tin was slightly larger than the 20cm tin suggested.


3) Once your crust is done, it should look like this. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.


FILL
250g cream cheese, room temperature
250ml condensed milk
1 and a quarter tablespoon gelatine
120ml hot water
245g canned pineapple, drained and chopped into small pieces
Grated rind of 1 lime
3 tablespoon lime juice

Making the filling:
1) Beat cream cheese until light and creamy. Gradually add condensed milk and beat until smooth.
2) Mix gelatine with hot water and stir until gelatine is dissolved.
3) Add chopped pineapple, lime rind, lime juice and gelatin into creamed mixture. Beat until well combined.  Pour into tin. 


Note:
Be sure the cream cheese is at room temp when beating.
Cut the pineapple in small pieces. Make sure the syrup is drained (if using canned pineapple).
For 3 tablespoon lime juice use about 2-3 big limes.
Make sure the gelatine is diluted well in the hot water. Less gelatine will result in the cake not 'setting'.

CHILL
Refrigerate for 6 hours or until set.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this cheesecake recipe. Really luv cheesecake and want to make it myself.
My problem is, I don't have electric mixer ;( Is it possible to mix the cream cheese using hand?

-Melody-

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi Meloday
Thanks for dropping by!
I would not advise mixing or beating the cream cheese by hand reason being I tried it once (before I got my hand-held mixer) and the results weren't good! So my advise is to get a mixer first before trying this recipe in order to get the results u want:)

My Little Space said...

Pineapples flavour cheesecake! I wanna try this too. I bet this is so delicious! Hope you;re having a wonderful day!
Cheers, Kristy

tigerfish said...

Cheesecake is one of the two cakes I have "baked"...cos of CRUST, FILL and CHILL method. Easy...

Pam said...

Wow! This sounds and looks fantastic! I definitely have to try this soon. Thanks!

WyYv said...

Pineapple with cheese cake, such a great combination.. I have not try something like tis before, nice try there! Nice post :D

The Sudden Cook said...

My Little Space: Do let me know if you do give it a trY!
tigerfish: Yes super easy - no 'cracking' or 'burnt' issues to deal with
Pam: Hope u try it Pam!
WyYv: Thanks! Next time, I will substitute the pineapple with peaches since my husband prefers peaches:-)

Joanna said...

will it be nice if I use digestive biscuits instead?

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

this sound good and yummy.

noobcook said...

no baked cheesecake is still in my long to-do list ... yours look really lovely and I like the special addition of pineapples

The Sudden Cook said...

Joanna: Yes some recipes call for digestive biscuits - I would think it's ok to use them for this recipe too. Do let me know if you give it a try.
Sonia: Thanks for dropping by! Really appreciate your nice comments.
Noobcook: Yes you must try! No baked cheesecake is really as simple as it sounds.

Kathleen said...

This sounds delicious. Perfect to make when you want an elegant dessert and don't want to turn on the oven!

msmeanie said...

My mom always made a no-bake cheesecake and I loved it! This version looks amazing too. Love the addition of the pineapple. Yum!

The Sudden Cook said...

Kathleen: Thanks for dropping by. Yes you're on spot on.. it makes a great dessert
msmeanie: Thanks! But I should chop the pineapple pieces smaller for my next attempt.

My Little Space said...

Cheesecake???? Ooo... my favourite! Pineapple cheesecake sounds pretty awesome as well. I can at least wallop a few of them. Great job. Hope you're having a nice day.
Cheers, Kristy

The Sudden Cook said...

Thanks Kristy! As far as I know a few people have tried this recipe already with good results.

Suja said...

Hi, I tried this cheesecake recipe for last year's Christmas dinner and it turned out great! Compliments all around : ) Thanks so much for sharing!

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi Suja!
Thanks for your kind words. I so want to make this again and am looking for the right occasion.
Glad it turned out well for ya.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi...your recipe looks very tempting and yummy...plan to try this week...may I know can I substitute grated rind of lime with lemon? and also 3 tablespoon of lime juice to substituted with canned pineapple juice? Thanks a million and looking forward for your reply...

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi Anonymous - I think substituting the lemon rind with lemon rind is fine although I would not recommend using the canned pineapple juice as it would make the cheesecake very sweet. The lime/lemon juice on the other hand, gives it a nice citrus-y flavour which balances off well with the sweetness from the condensed milk. Hope this helps...

apple said...

Pineapples and cheese are my favorite. Combining these two delicious thing in you recipe will make it more yummier. I can't wait to try this recipe, and thanks for sharing it.

Travel Philippines

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails