Saturday, February 26, 2011

Toasted Corned Beef Sandwiches


Corned beef was another dish that used to crop up now and again at the dinner table growing up. We would have it with rice in addition to other dishes as well. I wouldn't say I was crazy over it but then I didn't dislike it altogether either.

The last I cooked corned beef was years ago. To be honest, I found it very salty and didn't really take a liking to it. I have forgotten how I prepared it but remember thinking it was not going to be on the dinner table anytime soon.

That was until I went to my sister's house for dinner one Friday night. It was a simple dinner of rice and a few other dishes. There was the corned beef. Sitting smugly in a bowl looking all delicious. I had some and finally realised I was making it all wrong this while.

This is my sister's recipe which I thought turned out great. The ingredients are very basic. Instead of having it with rice, I made sandwiches out of them.

What you need:
1 can corned beef 
1 onion sliced
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon meat curry powder
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoon cooking oil

What to do in 3 easy steps:

Step 1
Heat cooking oil in a non-stick pan. Add in the onions and fry till translucent and fragrant for a few minutes.

Step 2
Add corned beef. Break up any lumps. Add in chilli and meat curry powder and a very tiny pinch of salt.

Step 3
Stir for 10 minutes.

Your corned beef is ready.

Serving Suggestion:
Toast two slices of bread. Butter both sides. Spread corned beef mixture on one side. Top with shredded lettuce. I used wholemeal bread.

This is the can of corned beef I used.
An easy simple meal for 2 persons for those lazy nights. Tuna sandwiches are another great alternative.

9 comments:

noobcook said...

I'm not familiar with corned beef but these sandwiches look yummy and quick to make.

SD said...

The sandwich looks yummy! I wish I could have it for lunch now! :)

WyYv said...

This is great! Good to have this once in a while :D

tigerfish said...

I grew up with SPAM! ;p ...nobody introduced corned beef to me when I was younger :O

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

never cook with corned beef before, must try one day.

Food For Tots said...

I don't eat beef due to religion. But your recipe sounds simple and easy for all beef lovers to try it out. ;)

The Sudden Cook said...

Seems like corned beef has not been that popular. Some use it to make beef/potato patties as well. Thanks all for dropping by!

ICook4Fun said...

I like cooking corn beef sambal and have it with rice or bread. Sometimes I used it in fried rice too.

The Sudden Cook said...

Corned Beef sambal sounds interesting. Hopefully I can find the recipe on your site:D

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails