Thursday, June 23, 2011

Spicy Fried Vermicelli (Meehoon)


So I was at the supermarket last weekend when a packet of Adabi Fried 'Rice Vermicelli' Paste caught my eye. Thus far, my foray into making delicious lip smacking spicy, yummy fried meehoon (like how my mum used to make for us growing up) has not been successful. Some call it mee siam, I just call it spicy fried meehoon.

The best part about making the meehoon myself is I get to include ingredients which my husband and I really like. For example; taugeh (bean sprouts) in our fried meehoon is a no-no for us. Prawns is a definite yes! Fish cake (for me) is a long-standing favourite.

So I bought the packet of Adabi paste together with my choice ingredients and put the paste to the test.

Serves: About 5 persons
1 big packet of Adabi's Fried 'Rice Vermicelli' Paste like below


My choice ingredients:
1 medium-sized onion (sliced)
Peeled prawns (marinated with 1 tsp chilli powder)
Fish cake (sliced) - I buy these from the pasar segar (about 6 sticks in a pack)
Eggs
Finely sliced lettuce (or other greens like 'Chinese Cabbage')

My choice of rice vermicelli (meehoon):

A1 Bihun Beras
Note: I have tried other brands but I will stick to this brand. It comes in mini packets of meehoon (50g) each and if you're cooking for a specific number of people it's easy to guess how much meehoon to fry. I generally don't cook a whole big pack.

Each mini roll of meehoon like this is 50g. This recipe calls for 300g meehoon.
What to do:
Soak about 6 mini meehoon packs (300g) in plain water (not hot water). Leave until soft (about 3 mins) while preparing other ingredients.

Beat 3 eggs in a bowl. Scramble and set aside.

Step 1:
Heat 10 tablespoons oil in a wok. Add sliced onions and fry till aromatic. Add the Adabi paste and mix well. Add about 180ml water (3/4 cup) and allow to boil.

Step 2: 
Add in prawns and allow to cook for few mins while mixing. Add the fish cake and mix.


Step 3:
Add the drained meehoon and mix again making sure all the water in the wok soaks into the meehoon. 
(Note: Keep frying/stirring - allowing the meehoon to soak up all the liquid and flavours in it).

Step 4:
Once meehoon is reddish in colour and there is no more liquid in wok - add in greens and eggs. Give it one final mix. Turn off heat and serve with fried shallots.


Note: There are instructions at the back of the Adabi paste packet on how to cook the meehoon as well. My version differs based on my choice ingredients.

Verdict: Really yummy. It was just the type of fried meehoon I was longing to make. If you prefer it spicier - add in sliced red chillies! Garnish with fried shallots (you can get these in a pack in most supermarkets).

9 comments:

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Delicious mee hoon, another appetizing snack. I'm following you.

Ms Me said...

You really are a mee hoon lover aren't you? looks delish! I love the packeted rempah. I gotta admit some are decent and save so much time on a weekday meal. I shall try this one.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

An easy way to have a plate of yummy bee hoon.

WyYv said...

thanks for the recipe, my mom juz like to cook mi hun.. gotta show her tis post of urs :)

Quay Po Cooks said...

Quick and easy, that's the best. This is a keeper.

Food For Tots said...

Meehoon is my all-time favourite!! I love spicy food. Yours looks very appetizing!!

Jeannie said...

I haven't had meehoon for so long I can't remember when's the last time I ate it! Yours looks so good with the large prawns, my fav!:)

The Sudden Cook said...

Amelia: Thanks! Am following u too.
Ms Me: Meehoon lover - that's me. Yup I would recommend this one.
Sonia: Very true.
WyYv: Haha - don't think your mum need this packet - am sure she makes better from scratch!
QP: Thanks!
Food For Tots: It's very tasty and spicy!
Jeannie: Yes, buy the prawns peeled - saves so much time.

Fresh Garden said...

Delightful and yummy! Fantastic!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails