Thursday, July 21, 2011

Simple Roast Chicken with Bacon

Before I started to learn how to roast a chicken - I read that it was really easy. Apparently you just had to marinate the bird and stuff it into the oven and then - it's done! Well, that is kinda the concept - but then I didn't see the results I wanted. So I resorted to do a bit more research to try and see how I can further make the bird tastier and crispier.

To get a crispier roast, I compiled and followed the tips from my previous post in my latest attempt at roasting a chicken. The results were delish! By far the best. I mean I am in no way an expert when it comes to roasting a chicken, but then it was by far my best effort.

But getting the skin crisp is only half the battle. Before that, you have to make sure the chicken is marinated well. I used Jamie Oliver's recipe which I had previously blogged about here with some slight modifications.


Ingredients:
1 chicken (this recipe is based on a chicken about 1.3kg)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns crushed ( I still had remainder black peppercorns from making this. I just used my mortar and pestle to crush them till fine. I truly would recommend this).
Olive Oil
1 lemon - sliced in half. I only used one half tho.
1 bulb garlic - peeled I ended up not using all the pips.
Fresh thyme which you can get in grocers like Cold Storage and Jaya Grocer

How to roast the chicken:

1) Take out chicken an hour before marinating/roasting. Let it come to room temperature.
2) Make slight cuts in the thigh area and breast.
3) Rub chicken all over with olive oil..
4) Season the chicken all around with the salt and pepper. Be sure to also season the cavity nicely. It may seem like a lot of salt and pepper but do bear in mind that some salt will come off in the roasting process. If you don't season it well - your chicken will be rather bland.
5) Push peeled garlic, lemon half and thyme into cavity. Tuck the wing tips behind and truss the chicken (tie the legs as referred to in earlier post).

6) Baste your wire rack on the roasting pan with some oil. Put chicken breast side down in oven pre-heated at 230C. After 15 mins, lower the temperature to 190C.


7) After 30 minutes, remove chicken and flip it to breast side up (refer to 1st photo above). If using bacon, place about 4 slices of streaky bacon on the breast.

8) Roast for further 45 minutes.  Remove chicken from oven - if you want - cover in foil and let rest for few minutes. Remove lemon, garlic and thyme from cavity. Slice up and serve with bacon on the side.

I learnt alot in making this. Like how photos of raw bacon can look absolutely gross. If you've never carved up a chicken, there are loads of tutorials on You Tube like this one.
Note: The roasting time will depend on the size of the chicken. The timing in this post is based on a chicken about 1.3kg.

7 comments:

tigerfish said...

The bacon must have add tons of flavor. Fats=flavor :P

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

This look tempting!

daphne said...

Comfort food to the max! I have been meaning to roast a chicken and this gave me some good tips! thanks.

Indie.Tea said...

What a great idea. Bet the chicken is rich and flavorful.

The Sudden Cook said...

tigerfish: It sure did!
Sonia: Thanks Sonia
Daphne: Your welcome. The tips really do make a difference I've found.
India Tea: It sure is!

Food For Tots said...

I still haven't roasted the whole chicken. It sounds like a MEGA project to me. Yours looks really moist and juicy!! I must give it a try. ;)

joyce said...

Mmmm....yummy! looks delicious! When I roasted my turkey last time, I covered the bird in bacon strips too, and used the crispy strips later as sandwich fillers :)

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails