Friday, September 23, 2011

Crunchy Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies


I was looking around for a suitable chocolate chip cookie recipe. Though I tried one last December and was pretty happy with it, I was particularly inspired to try a new recipe after reading Ann's blog. I also knew this time I wanted to add in some nuts to give it some extra crunch.

So after reading many a blog on different chocolate chip cookie recipes to try, I decided to go with Ann's recipe from her blog and I'm glad I did! I did vary it ever so slightly to accommodate the nuts. Here's the recipe.

What you need:
150g plain flour
45g corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
125g salted butter 
65g caster sugar
40g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
125g chocolate chips
60g roasted pecans 
1 egg

Toast the pecans following these steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 150C.
  2. Line your baking tray with baking paper.
  3. Roughly chop pecans. Place on baking tray.
  4. Toast for 7 minutes.Remove from oven and allow to cool.

What to do:

1) Sieve flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2) Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl till mixed together well. Then add in egg and vanilla essence. Cream for 1 minute.
3) Using a spatula, fold in gently the sieved flour, baking powder and salt to the creamed mixture.





4) Add in chocolate chips and pecans and mix using spatula.


5) Cover mixing bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from fridge.
6) Drop a teaspoon full of dough on baking tray. Don't place them too close together. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes at a temperature of 180C.


Use your spatula to help scrap the dough from the teaspoon onto the tray.

7) Let cookies cool on tray for 10 minutes then place on wire rack to cool completely. 

Tips:
1) To get the cookies in a nice round shape, instead of just dropping the dough on the tray, nicely 'roll' them into a ball shape. Fab tip from Ann.
2) I baked the cookies for about 18 minutes in my oven.
3) Keep an eye on the pecans when roasting them especially if your oven get's hot fast.
4) Be sure the butter is at room temperature. Remove from fridge about 20 minutes before creaming.


Place cookies in airtight container to retain freshness and crunch factor.

Verdict:
They were not too sweet. In fact, I kinda wished they were sweeter. But the more I ate them the more I thought the sweetness was just right.
As you can see - the cookies are not nicely rounded. That's cause I didn't know of the 'roll' dough into a ball shape tip till later. Will definitely put that tip into use on my next try.
The pecans went great with the chocolate chips.
Overall - this recipe is bookmarked come Christmas!

8 comments:

Janine said...

I'm also always on the lookout for crunchy cookie recipes to try, so I'm definitely trying this soon :D

WyYv said...

Nice one! I just bake double chocolate cookies too! But i used premixed cookies powder:D

The Sudden Cook said...

Janine: Cool! Let me know how it turns out.
WyYv: As long as they taste good - premixes get my vote anytime!

tigerfish said...

I like the addition of pecans in there and the fact that they are not too sweet :)

Wanda said...

Looks like I've something to try this weekend. Thanks. It looks yummy.

noobcook said...

choc chips + pecans sound like winning combination. like tigerfish, I also like not-too-sweet hehe

The Sudden Cook said...

Yes it's indeed a winning combination. The pecans were the true 'star' of this recipe I have to say.

Bartending Training said...

This really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Handler Certification.

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails