Yet another winning recipe shared by my sis. Apparently my nephews love to have this. I didn’t try the recipe until recently and once I did my first thought was “Why did I wait so long to try this????”.
The original recipe is actually ‘Ham & Cheese Pasta Bake’. However I used bacon because in the land of ham and bacon, bacon always wins.
What surprised me most was how EASY it was to prepare and how YUMMY it was to savour. Here’s the recipe.
Bacon & Cheese Pasta Bake
What you need:
200g or slightly more spirally or shell pasta – I used mini shells
200g bacon roughly chopped – You may use ham
1 onion chopped
2 tablespoon olive oil
125g grated cheddar cheese
Black pepper ground
What to do:
Cook pasta in salted water as per directions. Strain and put back in pan.
1) Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat and cook onions until soft for 3 minutes. Add bacon and continue to cook for 5 minutes (if using ham cook only for 1 minute).
2) Add in cream, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add generous sprinkling of black pepper.
3) Add bacon & cream mixture into pan with pasta. Add ¾ of grated cheese into mixture and mix well. (If you feel you would like the mixture to remain creamy, use less cheese at this stage)
4) Put into greased dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
|Ready to go into the oven. Pasta, bacon, cream and cheese - did someone say YUM YUM?.|
5) Bake in preheated oven at 200C for about 20 minutes until cheese on top is melted and golden brown.
- I used 3 ramekins to make the dish. It’s more convenient this way for me. You may use any oven proof dish.
|I use oven proof ramekins but you can use any oven proof dish.|
- Keep an eye towards the end, if you feel the cheese has melted enough and you’re happy you may retrieve it slightly less than 20 minutes.
- I actually ‘accidentally’ bought mini shell pasta. But now that I’ve tried it, I love it. it doesn’t feel very ‘heavy’ as most pasta dishes can make me feel and it goes really well in this dish.