Tuesday, August 7, 2012

How to cook Mutton Chops in Thick Gravy using a Pressure Cooker



“This tastes just like how mummy used to make it”. Ahhhhhh, the words were music to my ears. I don’t think my brother knew how happy he made me when he said it. My mum in her heyday cooked up the most awesome Indian dishes. And so after having my head in the clouds for a full 10 seconds, I came back down to earth and finished my meal.

What you need:
1kg mutton chops – I usually buy Australian mutton chops and ask the butcher to cut them into a thickness of three quarters of an inch
3 tbsp yoghurt
2 ½ tbsp chilli powder – you may wish to reduce this to 1 tbsp if it’s too spicy
2 ½ tbsp ground coriander
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 ¾ tsp salt

Ingredients to blend:
8 cloves garlic
5cm piece ginger
2 onions
3 green chillies
3 red chillies
Place all ingredients in a blender. Add some water to help blend smoothly.

Others:
2 sticks cinnamon
5 cardamoms
5 cloves
2 tsp aniseed, pounded coarsely
2 onions sliced
Few sprigs curry leaves
10 tbsp oil

What to do:

1) Marinade mutton chops with yoghurt, chilli powder, coriander powder, tomato paste, salt and blended ingredients for 30 mins or more.

2) Heat oil in pressure cooker. Fry cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves till fragrant. Add aniseed, onions and curry leaves. Keep frying till onions turn lightly brown, for about 5 minutes.

     3) Add in marinated mutton chops and stir.  Add ½ cup water and place pressure cooker lid on. Pressure cook for 23-25 minutes.

     4) Once the meat is pressure cooked (and pressure is released), remove lid and stir.

     5) Cook for another 10 minutes till meat is tender and gravy thickness is to your liking.

I got this recipe from ‘South Indian Temptations’ by Devagi Sanmugam. If you wish to improve your South Indian cooking, this recipe book is for you. However I must note that the method is completely altered as compared to the recipe in the book. The reason for this is because I used a pressure cooker thus the steps reproduced are ideally for those cooking using a pressure cooker. Also different from the original recipe, I reduced the number of green chillies from 5 to 3 and used tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes.

Note: It's a good idea to skim off the oil which floats to the surface prior to serving.

I love the PC. I used it to make mutton varuval as well and it has served me well. For those of you who think a PC is quite complicated, it really isn’t. If you’re interested, have a peek at my post on how to use one here.

Yummy mutton chops just like how mum used to make 'em.

7 comments:

daphne said...

ooo.. while i don't have a pressure cooker- i bet this can be easily created in any pot or using my "Magic" thermal pot!!! I love mutton curry and this really does appeals to me!

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

This looks very inviting indeed! Love curry and all that spiciness and this version looks wonderful.

noobcook said...

It is time for me to dig out my dusty pressure cooker. Love this dish very much.

GK Arusuvai said...

hi ter, tks for sharing the pressure cooker tips...i just got my pressure cooker recently and was so blur on how to use it. Came across ur lovely blog while browsing for pressure cooker tips.....love ur simple way of cooking and recipes.....very original..i too have a copy of the same devagi shanmugam's banana leaf temptation....ur mutton chops looks so yummy!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

hi thks for recipe just want to know how did you get the dark color of the gravy? did you add dark soya sauce to get the color? When I marinated the meat with spices & yoghurt it was a light pinkish orange color...pls advise thks

The Sudden Cook said...

Hi there - I do not add any thick soya sauce - once the meat has been pressure cooked - it will turn into a dark colour on its own.

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails