Monday, July 7, 2014

Spicy Pork Prime Ribs




The next time you are craving a porky dish AND you want to pick up some fresh pork meat for cooking head on over to Sanbanto over in SS2 Petaling Jaya.  Known for its clean, healthy pork meat, I recently made Spicy Pork Ribs using prime pork ribs from the butchery in Sanbanto.

As soon as you walk into the cafe cum butchery you will see their fresh meat counter selling safe and high quality pork meat. In the SS2 branch, lies their cold butcher room where they maintain their fresh pork.




I have in the past year been cooking various recipes using pork ribs. I have found that the texture of the ribs from Sanbanto to be extremely tender. Also I noticed that when I pre-boiled the ribs prior to marinating, there wasn't much scum (the white stuff which floats to the top surface of the water) as compared to when boiling ribs purchased elsewhere.




I was extremely happy with how the ribs below turned out. After some marinating and about 2 hours in the oven, they were absolutely delicious and will definitely be making them again. I also have some pork loin from the Sanbanto butchery which I plan to use in my next recipe!



This recipe was adapted from here. However I have tweaked it according to my preference.

What you need:
125ml honey (I omitted the honey)
80ml tomato sauce
60ml soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chilli powder (adjust according to your spice level)
1 pack Sanbanto 400g prime ribs

Additional: Some Heinz bottled barbecue sauce to brush on ribs

What to do:
Step 1
Bring a pot of water with some sliced ginger added to boil. Add in pork ribs and allow to boil for 10 minutes. Take off heat, strain and rinse ribs.


Step 2
Place ribs in bowl. Add in tomato sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, olive oil and chilli powder. Mix ribs with marinade well. Cover in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 6 hours or overnight to develop the flavours.

Step 3
Preheat oven to 160C. Line a baking dish with foil and brush wire rack with oil to lightly grease. Remove the ribs from marinade and arrange in a single layer on the wire rack. Cover the baking tray in foil.




Step 4
Bake ribs in preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove baking tray and foil. Turn ribs over and brush some barbecue sauce on each rib. Place back foil and put back in oven.  Bake for another hour removing foil at last 30 mins.

These ribs are slightly sticky but there isn't much 'sauce' on it - if that's your thing.


So what is so enticing about Sanbanto Premium Pork?
This is what I found out:
Their farms have been previously awarded the Best Farm in Malaysia. 
Their farms have also been certified for Good Farm Practices Scheme since 2008
The pigs are fed grains and probiotics
No drug residue and beta-agonist free

There is just something about the quality of meat which comes thru in the cooking. I would definitely vouch for Sanbanto.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Hi Sudden cook, how you doing? Your pork ribs look soooo tempting. I love ribs but usually make soup or steam with black fermented beans. So far did try bake version. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Have a nice day.Regards.

cherry fe vallejo said...

yummy dish !! gotta try this at home Thank you :) private chef in austin

Ann Jebaratnam said...

Oh my... I'm going to try this as soon as I can get my hands on some pork ribs. My reading pane disappeared from Blogger. (sigh) So I haven't been updated on what's going on elsewhere. Hope you like the rendang!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails